We’ve found 12 books that make great gifts no matter who you’re shopping for. All of these have healthy mind, body and spirit in mind. Whether there is a healthy eater, spiritual and mindfulness seeker, teen reader or parent on your list, these titles will be great presents. Give a gift that lasts longer than the holidays. These books help readers become healthier mentally, physically and spiritually. Maybe there is a title that would make a great gift for YOU too. What makes this even better? Less stress for you! You can give books as presents without leaving your computer and they arrive just in time for the holidays.
These Books Make Great Gifts
Here are some titles to give to anyone seeking happiness, healthy living, zen/mindfulness, parenting with ease and feeling good in the skin they’re in.
For a Parent
- The Happy Kid Handbook: How to Raise Joyful Children in a Stressful World by Katie Hurley
Just released a few months ago and already a hot title on the book scene. This book makes a great gift because it’s not preachy; its funny and skillful. As a mom and psychotherapist, Hurley knows how hard it can be and she has developed some wonderful skills to help you enjoy parenting again. Based on research and techniques, she helps readers feel empowered and provides excellent tools to help raise confident, happy children. Every child is different, so Hurley explores differences in raising introverts, extroverts, and those that are in between.
- The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go SO Their Children Can Succeed by Jessica Lahey
One of the best books I’ve ever read. You have to pick this up for the parent, friend or educator on your list. The beauty of failure is often ignored in today’s culture, but Lahey highlights why it’s needed to raise confident and strong children through research and experience. In this acclaimed page-turner, Lahey teaches parents to let their children experience the frustration and disappointment so that they can become successful, self-reliant adults. Lahey sets up a how-to to help parents step back and allow their children learn from perceived failures while still giving them the support they need.
For the Teen
- Express Yourself: A Teen Girl’s Guide to Speaking UP and Being Who Your Are by Emily Roberts, MA LPC Psychotherapist Emily Roberts (and Neurogistics Staff Therapist) has written a guide that can be used throughout a readers life. Emily, also known as The Guidance Girl, helps readers become their best selves. This innovative book teaches teen girls, and adults, how to communicate effectively with confidence and feel assertive in any situation. Instead of falling to pressure to be please others or stay silent, girls learn to express themselves and their opinions. Using dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to create positive interactions with others. This book provides easy-to-use strategies for any situation, to boost confidence and self-esteem. Teachers, parents, counselors and young adults have raved about this book too. This is a great book to give anyone on your list.
- The Mindful Teen: Powerful Skills to Help You Handles Stress One Moment at a Time by Dzung X. Vo MD FAAP. As a pediatrician specializing in teen and adolescent medicine, Vo presents a mindfulness program to help teens deal with stress, resolve conflicts and learn to communicate with ease. Easy to read and follow, plus very effective tools that don’t come across as preachy. This book uses mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) and mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) to help teens learn how to deal with stress through simple tips to for any difficult situation that may arise, and uncover their inner strength. Give this amazing book to a teen in your life.
Books That Make Great Gifts For the Healthy Foodie
- The Grain Brain Cookbook: More Than 150 Life-Changing Gluten-Free Recipes to Transform Your Health by David Perlmutter MD
Being gluten-free nowadays isn’t as difficult as it once was, but the additives can be so damaging to ones gut. This cookbook, the companion to Grain Brain, offers more than 150 gluten-free recipes. When you eat the right foods, your brain will thank you. These recipes will help you reduce the risk and treat many diseases and conditions. Check this cookbook out to make delectable and healthy meals for yourself, and your family.
- Clean Eats: Over 200 Delicious Recipes to Reset Your Body’s Natural Balance and Discover What it Means to be Truly Healthy by Alejandro Junger MD
This awesome cookbook features more than 200 easy-to-prepare, healthy and delicious recipes to help your body heal itself. Dr. Junger is an expert in clean living and is often seen in the media. He has created a fantastic book for anyone who wants to eat cleaner and feel better. These meals help you remove toxins found in the standard American diet and environment. This cookbook explains what Clean means, includes daily meal plans and gives detailed nutritional information. If you want to help your body from the inside out, check out this cookbook on eating clean and healthy.
- Clean–Expanded Edition: The Revolutionary Program to Restore Body’s Natural Ability to Heal Itself by Alejandro Junger MD
This program, designed by an Junger, is designed to help anyone, no matter what their schedule, add in healthier habits and clean eating. This book provides the reader with practical tools necessary to rejuvenate the body. Through this program, annoying health problems disappear, weight drops and lives change. This book with truly teach you to be and feel healthy. Try this book to have a happier and healthier 2016.
- The Heal Your Gut Cookbook: Nutrient-Dense Recipes for Intestinal Health Using the GAPS Diet by Hillary Boynton
Want to heal your gut? This cookbook offers more than 200 nutrient-dense, healing recipes. GAPS Diet experts Hilary Boynton and Mary G. Brackett show recipes that heal the gut and help with mental illness directly linked to the gut. Many of our clients have tried the GAPS and found it difficult. This cookbook has made it easier and tastier. This cookbook helps readers learn important cooking techniques and ingredients for the GAPS Diet, encouraging changes and improvements to the health of themselves and their families. Through this cookbook, you can restore the balance of your intestinal bacteria and fix the gut.
Books That Make Great Gifts For the Mind & Spirit
- Self-Compassion: The Proven Art of Being Kind to Yourself by Kristen Neff
Are you kind to yourself? Kirsten Neff, Ph.D., gives advice on how to stop self-criticizing in order to achieve your highest potential and increase your fulfilled life. Researcher and speaker, Neff is a self-compassion expert and has helped to heal thousands of peoples’ lives. This book offers exercises for when you feel like being hard on yourself and plans for dealing with struggles in your everyday life.
- Little Book of Mindfulness: 10 Minutes A Day to Less Stress, More Peace by Patricia Collard
Mindfulness isn’t just a buzzword; its a necessary action we must engage in for inner peace and for managing external stress. This book makes a great gift and full of cute and effective exercises. It’s true that mindfulness is a great way to live your life to the fullest, as one customer reviewer noted. Collard’s experience as a teacher and practitioner taught her the importance of mindfulness in our lives and letting go of stress. In this amazing book, Collard shows you how 5 to 10 minute practices a day can help you and your family relax from all the stress in your lives and start living a relaxed and mindful life. This little book makes a great gift for those that are overwhelmed and stressed with everyday struggles.
- You Can Heal Yourself by Louise Hay
An international best seller with more than 50 million copies sold, Louise Hay is the guru of self-help and healing. I’ve given this book to a college student, a young mother and grandmother, all of whom found it to be empowering and helped to heal their mental and physical health issues. Hay teaches you to think positively to heal your mind AND body. Add this self-help book to your list of books to give yourself or someone you love.
Mindful Coloring Books Are Awesome Gifts For Any Age
Coloring books are all the rage for adults these days. These books help you become mindful and relaxed. With the growth of coloring books for adults, these are amazing gifts for yourself or for a loved one that needs some time for themselves.
- Outside the Lines: An Artists’ Coloring Book for Giant Imaginations by Souris Hong-Porretta
This coloring book combines contemporary art with coloring for a striking collection of more than 100 illustrations. Contributors include cartoonists, animators, illustrators, graphic artists, photographers, street artists, video game artists, musicians and more. If you’re looking to let your imagination grow free and spend some time decomposing from a hectic day, try this amazing coloring book.
Have a happy holiday and don’t forget that books make great gifts that can give all year long. Many of my friends will call me and thank me months later to let me know how the books I’ve given as gifts have been life changing. Make this year memorable and give a great book.
* * * * *
Emily Roberts MA, LPC is the clinical therapist for the Neurogistics Children’s Program. She has worked with Neurogistics for over a decade. Emily is also an award-winning author of Express Yourself: A Teen Girls Guide to Speaking Up and Becoming Who You Are, Psychotherapist, TV & Media Contributor, educational speaker and parenting consultant. Express Yourself is available at bookstores nationwide and on Amazon. To learn more about Emily click here.
4,836 total views, 2 views today