Now that you’ve set your new year’s resolutions don’t you want to make sure you achieve them? Health goals can be hard to achieve without some internal help, which means a healthy mind and body. We have more evidence than ever before in history that a healthy mind can come from natural treatments. This means that there are more evidence-based studies and scientific communities that promote holistic and natural treatments for healing the mind and body. This year while you are still in the honeymoon period of your New Year’s Resolutions, it would be a great time to adopt these health tips that will heal you from the inside out.
3 Health Tips to Help You Achieve Your Goals
1) Chow Down on Fermented Foods and Probiotics. In recent years, neuroscientists have become increasingly interested in the idea that there may be a powerful link between the human brain and gut bacteria. One of the many reasons you’ve seen ads for probiotics is that research shows that many Americans have damaged gut flora which contributes to digestive issues and brain chemistry challenges. If your body can’t break down what you eat or the medications/supplements you take, inflammation insues and your mind suffers.
Now, promising new research from neurobiologists at Oxford University offers more evidence of a connection between gut bacteria and mental health in humans. The researchers found that supplements designed to boost healthy bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract (“prebiotics”) may have an anti-anxiety effect insofar as they alter the way that people process emotional information.
Many researchers have found the best way to reverse inflammation in the gut and restore a healthy metabolism is by eliminating excess sugar and processed foods, and adding beneficial bacteria from naturally fermented foods. Adding in fermented vegetables are one of the most palatable fermented foods that can provide you with a robust dose of beneficial bacteria, known as probiotics, for a fraction of the cost of buying a supplement (and with far more beneficial bacteria). You might remove this
Fermented foods are very potent detoxifiers, aiding in the reduction of inflammation. They are capable of drawing out a wide range of toxins and heavy metals, including some pesticides, from your body, and the beneficial bacteria they contain may also help prevent diabetes, digestive issues, neurological problems, cardiovascular disease, and even acne. A great health tip is to note that you only need a small amount of fermented vegetables to boost your health; one-quarter to one-half cup of fermented veggies with each meal is ideal.
2) Drink More Water. This is one of the number one health tips from experts. The best thing you can do for your brain and body is to be hydrated. Without enough water intake children and adults do not detoxify the toxins we are all exposed to on a daily basis. The Institute of Medicine has determined that an adequate intake for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. They suggest that for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day. A good rule of thumb is half their body weight in ounces.
Water helps to flush toxins and waste products from our bodies. It aids our digestion and “keep us regular”. Drinking water prevents dehydration, and is proven to help with weight loss and helps hydrates the skin which in turn reduces the signs of aging.
Find it hard to get enough H20?
- Fizz it up! Get a home seltzer maker like a soda stream and make your own fizzy H2O! Add a dash of lemon or a splash of O.J. and you’ll have a super refreshing drink!
- Not ALL your water has to be COLD…drink some of it HOT. Have a nice warm cup of tea instead. Be sure it’s decaf since caffeine actually robs you of water (it’s a diuretic).
- Dilute juice with water. Make your glass 50% water and 50% juice but make sure the juice you choose is 100 percent fruit juice no added sugar or corn syrup.
3) Test Your Brain Chemistry. Have you ever wondered if you should take supplement your friends are raving about? Perhaps you have so many supplements or medications but don’t know which ones (if any) are actually working? The best way to avoid the guessing game and get confident about your brain chemistry is to test your brain chemistry. Proper brain chemistry not only balances your mood, enhances mental clarity and improves sleeps cycle, it can help you lose weight and fight cravings. This can be done with amino acid therapy.
Neurotransmitter testing is a unique method that allows experts in the field to create protocols utilizing proven amino acids regimens. This can be done in the privacy of your home. Based on the German technology for testing neurotransmitters in the urine this science examines the correlation between peripheral levels of neurotransmitters and the brain. The neurotransmitters that are produced in the brain require the same amino acid precursors and enzymes for synthesis as they do in the body. Based on this connection urinary neurotransmitters give us a reflection of neurotransmitter imbalances that can result in symptoms and conditions such as depressions, anxiety, ADD/ADHD, headaches, migraines, fatigue, weight issues, insomnia, memory problems, and chronic pain.
* * * * *
Emily Roberts MA, LPC is the clinical therapist for the Neurogistics Children’s Program. She has worked with Neurogistics for over a decade. Emily is also an award-winning author of Express Yourself: A Teen Girls Guide to Speaking Up and Becoming Who You Are, Psychotherapist, TV & Media Contributor, educational speaker and parenting consultant. Express Yourself is available at bookstores nationwide and on Amazon. To learn more about Emily click here.
5,532 total views, 2 views today